Friday, May 22, 2015

Thoughts to Live By


It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts. -Arthur Conan Doyle.

In words as fashions the same rule will hold./Alike fantastic if too new or old;/Be not the first by whom the new are tried,/ Nor yet the last to lay the old aside. -Alexander Pope.

When women love us, they forgive us everything, even our crimes; when they do not love us, they give us credit for nothing, not even our virtues. -Honore de Balzac

Red roses for young lovers. French beans for longstanding relationships. -Ruskin Bond.

I found one day in school a boy of medium size ill-treating a smaller boy. I expostulated, but he replied: 'The bigs hit me, so I hit the babies; that's fair.' In these words he epitomized the history of the human race. -Bertrand Russell.

Words are like leaves; and where they most abound/ Much fruit of sense beneath is rarely found. -Alexander Pope.

I feel fairly certain that my hatred harms me more than the people whom I hate. -Max Frisch.








No comments:

Post a Comment